Tutorial: How to Build Roofs in Sims 4
Directions, illustrations, video, tips & tricks for the Sim 4 builder
Learn about Gabled Roofs, Half-Gabled Roofs, Hipped Roofs, Octagonal Roofs, Diagonal Roofing, Circular Roofs & Domes, Flat Roofs, Mansard Roofs, Arch Adjustment, Dormer Rooms, Roof Gardens, Roof Trims, Roof Sculptures & Chimneys, Roof Patterns, Glass Roofs, plus roofing tips.
Learn to build great roofs in Sims 4!
I know, I know. Roofing is the bane of many a simmer. I used to long for the good-old-days of auto roofing in Sims 1&2. But then I realized something huge…
In Sims 4 the roof can make or break a home design!
Learning to build great roofs is important – and effort well spent.
How To Use Minute Notations & Links to Tutorial Video
- Minute links open on YouTube in new tab at that part in the video.
- It’s the same video as the video on this page.
- If you want to stay on this page, go to the video on this page to the minute listed to view each item below. (Instead of clicking on the minute link.)
- Gabled Roof in Tutorial Video | see minute: 06:56
- Gabled Roof in Build Mode:
- LEFT: Example of Gabled Roof (Click pic to view in gallery or download)
RIGHT: Example of Gabled Roof used as Faux Dormer (Click pic to view in gallery or download)
Half Gabled Roof
- Half Gabled Roof in Tutorial Video | see minute: 08:25
- Half Gabled Roof in Build Mode:
- Example of Half Gabled Roof: (Click pic to view in gallery or download)
- Hipped Roof in Tutorial Video | see minute: 07:07
- Hipped Roof in Build Mode:
- Example of Hipped Roof: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
- Octagonal Roof in Tutorial Video | see minute: 10:35
- Octagonal Roof in Build Mode:
- Example of an Octagonal Roof: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
- Examples of alternative roofing for an Octagonal Room or Home: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
- Diagonal Roofing in Tutorial Video | see minute: 04:20
- Diagonal Roofing in Build Mode:
- Example of Diagonal Roofing: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
Circular Roof & Dome
- Circular Roof & Dome in Tutorial Video | see minute: 10:55
- Circular Roof & Dome in Build Mode:
- A Glass Dome Roof can be created by adjusting the arch and height of a Circular Roof. With a glass roofing pattern added and by using MOO, placement testing, play testing, you can make an indoor observatory!
- Example of Circular Roofing or Dome Roofing: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
- Flat Roof in Tutorial Video | see minute: 09:04
- Flat Roof in Build Mode:
Flat Roof with fencing perimeter: Draw a perimeter of fencing:
Flat Roof with Exterior Trim perimeter:
Step 1: Draw a room above and add Exterior Trim;
Step 2: Delete walls and ceiling on room above;
Step 3: Add flooring tiles or roofing pattern to flat roof:
Arch & Pitch Adjustment
- Arch Adjustment in Tutorial Video | see minute: 12:35
- Arch Adjustment in Build Mode: Click the roof to highlight it and use orbs to adjust the arch (curve) of the roof:
TIP: Press (Shift + C) for additional arch adjustment orbs!
- The Pitch (height of the roof) can also be adjusted by pulling the arrow upward:
Why Copy a Roof Section?
- Reasons to copy a roof section and how in Tutorial Video | see minute: 00:32
- After you’ve made adjustments to the pitch &/or arch of a roof, it can be hard to match it exactly on other roof sections. In certain cases copying and pasting a roof section is a great option to help avoid or minimize this issue.
- Example: How roof copying is used for Mansard Roofs:
- Mansard Roof in Tutorial Video – Step-by-step directions for making a Mansard Roof are included in my video| see minute: 13:00
- Mansard Roof with fencing on top rim and floor tile or roofing pattern on flat surface:
- Example of Mansard Roof: (Click pic to view in gallery or download):
Dormer Roof & Dormer Room
- Dormer Roof (in Mansard Roof) in Tutorial Video | see minute: 16:20
- Dormer Roof and Dormer Room that I like to make with a Mansard Roof (above): The dormer can be extended to the edge or back from the edge of the roof, you can combine them with a deck, and you can even add a door with a deck. With recessed, smaller dormers (right) some short windows may need to be placed by using MOO and placement testing.
- Dormer using Gabled Roof and Half Gabled Roof Tutorial Video: 00:01
- Dormer using Gabled Roof and Half Gabled Roof: Windowed room offshoots are created in the manner above, but by using Half Gabled roofing in that floor, then Gabled Roofing on the floor above as shown below:
- Attic Dormers: I also enjoy adding attics and using a dormer to add a window to them. I then add a door that’s glass or with a glass panel and this also adds light to the room. Example: (Click pic to view in gallery or download)
- Faux Dormers: You can use a Gabled Roof or Half Hipped Roof as a Faux Dormer. By this I mean it is decorative only – there is no room under the roofing section. Example: (Click pic to view in gallery or download)
(There are also some pre-made Faux Dormers in Roof Sculptures.)
- Roof Garden in Tutorial Video | see minute: 21:24
- Roof-Top Garden or Patio – open a world of possibilities!
- Roof Trims in Tutorial Video | see minute: 10:11
- Roof Trims in Build Mode:
- Don’t forget the roof trims!
Adding a roof trim to your roof will cover the raw edge and add style and polish to your roof. In the example below you can see how much nicer the roof edge looks on the right with the trim added versus the raw white edge that is there by default:
Roof Sculptures & Chimneys
- Roof Sculptures & Chimneys in Tutorial Video | see minute: 02:09
- Roof Sculptures & Chimneys in Build Mode:
- Roof Sculptures & Chimneys add character, balance, and interest to your roofs!
Consider realism. Add the chimney above the fireplace. A vent over the kitchen (stove) also makes sense. If it’s not a commercial lot or large home putting an AC on the roof may be odd. Just consider realistic scenarios.
Match or compliment the home style with roof decorations. A well-placed chimney alone can make your roof design pop. It can even balance and forgive some minor weaknesses in a roof. Make sure the chimney is the appropriate size and style for the home.
Be tasteful and don’t clutter the roof.
- Roof Patterns in Tutorial Video | see minute: 04:10
- Glass Roofs in Tutorial Video | see minute: 12:45
- Roof Patterns & Glass Roofs:
Roof patterns can be applied to any roof made. Choose your patterns carefully to match the style of the home.
- Glass roofing patterns are unique in that they will make the ceiling under them disappear automatically. They are wonderful for creating greenhouses, sunrooms, indoor pool roofing, skylights, glass domes, and more.